Sign in to follow this  
TSSR

Were you an adult when you accepted the Lord?

Were you an adult when you accepted the Lord?

Who had the greatest influence on your decision to follow Jesus?

I was a young child when I initially and sincerely gave my life to Christ. However, I did spend a year in rebellion in my late teens and recommitted myself to Him as an adult.

I can't name one single person as having had the greatest influence on my relationship with the Lord. When you get right down to it, it was the Holy Spirit Himself drawing me in regardless of what was going on around me. As for earthly examples, I had several Sunday School teachers and youth leaders who inspired my walk through education and basic cheerleading. I also consider that my parent's faith was probably foundational... although I witnessed their least shining moments, I also saw that special something in their lives that only comes from knowing the Lord.

Laurie

Yes agreed the Holy Spirit draws us. But there are some people who have dramatically influenced many peoples lives.

For me there was a lady who just recently passed away from a brain tumour. She held a kids weekly Bible Study in her home. Through the years she continued to pray for myself and other kids who attended.

She was a wonderful godly woman, I can only aspire to make such a difference in the world. Although she would humbly say she made little difference, but I can tell you otherwise.

Growing up, having someone who you know loves Jesus and trusts Him and follows Him, made such an impact. I wonder if I am doing this at all now as an adult? To me, there really isn't anything more important.

God uses the small things...He picks the imperfect...stumbling sinner to move mountains with His strength. We just need to say YES LORD, and He will use us.

Are you Calvinist? I ask, and am not wanting to debate, but that is the answer that always comes out from someone who calls themselves a Calvinist.

I can say with all honesty that someone invited me to church, that is how I decided to follow The Lord. YES

I am thankful the Lord drew me to Himself....

Oh, I didn't mean to be all preachy or anything with my comment about the Holy Spirit. Just, honestly, I couldn't think of a single person or group that I feel had any more influence over my walk than another. Unfortuantely, for as many good influences as I've had, I've had just as many tantalizing bad influences and I've come to realize that it wasn't simply my circumstances that led to my relationship with Christ but that he called me to it.

I don't know if that means I'm a Calvinist - I'm not well schooled on what the various schools of theology say.

I think it's a wonderful question to bring up. Knowing what forces influenced us and questioning whether we're bringing those traits to the table as adults are spectacular ways to examine your heart and your walk.

Laurie

Oh I like this thread. I'm not sure about the whole Calvanist thing, back to the books - not unless someone wants to quickly explain it to me ;)

I was raised in a wonderful Christian household. My Mom was raised in a strict Catholic family (which she didn't like) and my Dad was loosely raised Methodist. When they married they decided they wanted something different for their kids. They gave up having beer and liquor in the house and my Dad quit smoking. We attended Church every Sunday and prayed often. They gave my sister and I a solid foundation for our faith.

There are certain memories which stand out in my mind. I remember a Sunday School teacher at about 5 years old telling me not to place anything on top of the Bible. When stacking things always put the Bible on the top. I remember praying before lunch at school and the teacher asking me if I was ill, when I told her I was praying she smiled, patted my back, and went on. Little things like that I remember and it gave me pride in my faith.

I was baptised on Easter Sunday when I was 12 years old. Like most teenagers I struggled with temptations and slid a few times. But I always felt the Holy Spirit at work on me and though I knew that I had a lot of repenting to do I also knew that the Lord was using me. As a mother and wife I have a completely new relationship with the Lord and my Mom has been the biggest influence on me with that.

I hope more people will respond with their stories!

Love in Christ

-Eileen

I was 30 when I gave my life to the Lord. I grew up in the Catholic church and when I was 16 my parents were saved. I was always a really good kid and did believe in God and the bible, just didn't have a relationship with Him or His word. I always felt I was "good enough" or could do enough good things to get to heaven.

When my parents were saved it really shook me up, they were just SO different! At first I thought they joined a cult!! It wasn't until a few years later I started to really see the positives, but I still wanted my own way. I just couldn't imagine God would turn me away. Then I read the Left Behind books and decided to look to my bible to see if some of this could actually be true. After all I claimed to believe it, shouldn't I at least see what's in it!?! I accepted the Lord soon after in the spring of 2000 and was baptized that December along with my husband.

I've been very fortunate to have many wonderful, Godly people in my life, but I'm sure it was my parents example that the Lord used to draw me close to Him. What's really neat is that now our family is often an example to them! We're still growing, of course, but what a blessing to walk with the Lord! I'm just so thankful to be His!

Thanks everyone for sharing! It's always such an encouragement to read testimonies of others like myself who were saved later. We have so many family members that need Christ and sometimes it almost feels hopeless. Then you hear some wonderful testimonies and remember the Lord doesn't lose hope so why should I?

Blessings,

Tracey

My earliest memory of Our Heavenly Father was when I was 4 years old. I was raised Catholic but my father didnt go so I we didnt talk about church to much at home. How do I say this with out sounding strange. Oh well I just say it. I have always just known there was a God I used to pray by myself and talk to Him just as if he where siting beside me in my bed. I remember one night before going to sleep having a talk with him and saying ( please dont get offened I was 4) okay God I know you can do anything so if you dont mind when I wake up I want a bathing suite you can put it right on the dresser. Talk about child like faith I totaly expected it to fall from the sky. I didnt discuss this with anyone but each night I would repeat this. Any way a few weeks later I said the same about a lunch boxes with stripes. Did they fall from the sky no but guess what years later the Holy Spirit called me back to that time in my life and showed me that my child like faith got both of those items just not the way I expected and not in my time frame. What a great lesson to learn as a child.

When I was 16 I told my mom that the Catholic church just wasnt enough I didnt want to stand up and sit down and repeat after the priest any more. It just wasnt deep enough. Again please dont be offended. My mother looked at me and said okay and we change churches. My mothers walk, became closer to the Lord my father started going to. Isnt God good he used a mere young women to bring my parents closer to him.

As I got older I always had the word and new the word and prayed but I didnt have that personal relationship like I had when I was 4 until I turned 25. I feel on my face before the lord and didnt get up until the weight of the world was lifted from me. I have not turned back and I am back to my child like faith with our Lord once again. What a blessing this was to go back to the start of it all thank you!!!!!!!

I was 31 years old when I asked Jesus into my heart:)My late Father had the most influence in my life, even though he went home to be with The Lord when I was a child. He was saved so I know I will see him again someday!

I know what you are talking about when you say you just always knew him. I was like that too as a child. I just knew him and even the adults around me were amazed (they tell me now that I'm an adult.) My parents were not Christains, yet believed enough to send me to Sunday School on my own. When I was 15 I told the Lord that if I had never asked him to forgive me of my sins and come into my life, that I wanted to make sure and do that. It seemed almost unnessecary, but I just wanted to be 100% certain that God new from that moment onward that I wanted to do whatever he wanted me to do. I think I always believed he was my savior, but at that point was when I made that decision to make him LORD of my life. (By the way, I was at camp and had just finished watching the movie "Left Behind") I was then led by the Holy Spirit at the age of 17 to become baptized. I say it was truely the Holy Spirit because I had never seen a baptisim, and had never been taught about it. I just was led by God through reading His Word to ask my pastor about it. Boy was he excited to do it! I believe I was influenced throughout childhood by the Holy Spirit working in my Sunday School teachers. My youth group leader was the person who was able to clearly state what I needed to do to make sure I was having a personal relationship with God. My 6th grade teacher planted in me a love for the Bible by giving me a King James Bible as a prize for learing the books of the Bible, and teaching me how to read out loud by making me read it. And even at the baptisim, one of the Sunday School teachers I had had as a very small child told me that when I go off to college to go to a Baptist church because they believed generally the same things our little community church did. Well I took her advice and learn to walk deeply with the Lord there. I even ended up meeting my husband there! Mostly though I believe it was just simply the Holy Spirit working to keep me close to HIM that influenced me the most.

I was pretty young when my journey with Christ started... however I wandered off many times during that journey, taking my own road... always to come running back to Christ... this time I'm determined to stick by him and let him lead me in life.

I was also raised in the Catholic church. My mother and grandparents are still Catholic, my dad has never went to church except for Christmas Eve and Easter Sunday. I was in the Catholic church from when I was an infant up thru probably about 11th grade. I never once learned anything about the Bible, we didn't even own a Bible. I only went because my mom made me go with her. I believed in God but besides that I didn't really know anything else about God or Jesus. The summer after I graduated high school I met my husband and went to church a few times with him. He was raised in the church and had been a Christian for many years and was and is very knowledgable of the Bible. Well that fall we parted ways and I went off to college, that was where I really lost myself in the partying and such. It eventually got so bad that I had to move back home the next fall. One day out of the blue he, my husband, called me and we went out a few times. I started going to church with him on Sunday mornings each week. Within six months I became a Christian and two months later he and I were married. It will be six years the 24th of this month. For a long time I had a hard time getting over a lot of the stuff that happened while I was at college but then one day I just realized, you know, all of that had to happen or I wouldn't be where I am at today. All the pain, heartache, and such was necessary to bring me where I am at today. I thank God for all the blessings in my life along with all of the trials. I am a much stronger person now then I have ever been. Once I started reading the Bible, which has been oh about 8 years now, I just couldn't believe everything that I had never ever learned before in the Catholic church. I only wish that I could get my mother and grandparents out of the Catholicism. My mother has been in the Catholic church all of her life and probably 8 or 9 months ago, i'm not sure on the exact date, she asked me if Noahs Ark was a true story. And just last Friday my grandmother asked where the Noah's Ark story was in the Bible. They are really hard to talk to about some stuff. Whenever we have a family get-together and anything about the Bible or God is brought up she always says "Oh we are not talking religion right now". I will just have to keep on prayin for her and them.

A good way to introduce myself

Hello Lovely ladies.

This is a good thread to start on, I suppose..

Well.. I grew up in a Christian family.. Went to Christian School , the whole 9 yards, THEN... the tumultuous teenage years arrived.. I begn to doubt all that I had been taught.. I rebelled heavily.. I was basically an agnostic through my teen years, I didn't WANT to believe, you know? I just had too much fun NOT thinking about being accountable.. So, then I met my husband, Sr. year in high school, we fell instantly in love.. etc.. well, I didn't know it then, but he was a non-practicing Muslim convert.. one day when life was falling apart he decided to renew his faith in Islam. Since He believed it, and I had so much love for him, I thought it must be right. I fell wholeheartedly into life as a muslim, really fundamental, I wore the face veil, and everything. this was absolute torture to my Mom.. talk about prodigal daughters, I denied everything they ever taught me.. I was fierce into it.. But in my 4 years as a Muslim, I never once felt a single SECOND of peace. My soul was in constant turmoil, my life had a dark shadow around it... I felt burdened, then one day, my parents really reached out to my husband in his time of desperate need. He had been struggling with addiction, and it was getting really bad, it was right before my daughter was born, and they just wrapped their arms around my husband, and showed him Christs love. He came to know Christ as his saviour, and I was really in a state of distress (according to Islam, a muslim woman can not stay married to a non-muslim man)... I fought it and fought it for 2 months, NEVER have I flet such pain in my life.. It was utterly distressing.. I can't describe the depths my soul and my being sunk to.

So.. I started searching.. PRAYING.. really praying. I asked my Mom what she would do if she were in my situation, and she said "I would be on my knees asking God to show me the truth" Never has any other sentence in my life so affected and altered my life. I prayed and prayed, for 2 weeks, I read the Bible I prayed, I thought, I wrote in a journal.. I was torn.. and then, one day, in the car with my husband, I gave my life fully back to Christ.. and what freedom, what peace, what Hope! My husband is now near the end of a 9 month stay in a Christian discipleship/drug rehab program called Teen Challenge.. He is such a different Man, so changed by the power of Christ! And my almost 4 year old boy has such a heart for Christ! (and to think, I almost led him away from Christ!)

Woah.. OK, was that too much? I just feel led to share.. God changes lives.. He has sooo dramatically altered mine.. and Blessed me with such PEACE. so.. that is me.. It is truly nice to meet other Christian Moms. Mayt God Bless you for taking the time to read this novel of a post! :)

Kristy

Mom to Siddq 4 & Saarah-just 1 (Arabic names, a remnant from my years astray..)

Wow Kristy !! I want to say what a testamony to the Lord!!

Praise you father for the lives you have changed((smile)!!!!!!

For me I was saved as a small child(4 OR 5 YEARS OLD).My parents settled into a church in Temecula CA, and we all accepted Jesus as our Lord and Savior,and were filled with the Holy Spirit.I am now 24 and am still connected to the same church.I was a good girl till my sophmore year in high school , like most of you!!! I had a worldly relationship with a guy , I had goten him to come to church with me a few times!!But I got tired of trying to get him to love me , and tired of going to parties. Luckly I did not put up with this for to long .God opened my eyes to who I was and found the self confidence I had not known! I got rid of the boyfriend , but He kept prusuing when he no longer had me.So that was hard to let go after 2 years, but I held to God .The prayers of my mother were answered when I steped back onto the right track.Train your child in the way he/she should go and they will not depart from it.My senior year I steped into the track and began to run with God!!!Hurdles came in the form of my ex-boyfriend but I jumped over them! And I met the man of my prayers, He was all that I had ever asked God for as a child. He and his mom came to our church,and he played the guitar in our youth worship band.I knew from the first time I met him that he was who God had for me.We married 2 years later , and have been married 5 years.We still volunteer at our youth church, he still plays the guitar.God has been so good to me!!!

Sorry for the extra info,I'm new and wanted to shair quickly!!!

God bless!! I really enjoyed reading everyones answers(smile)!

kristy... you have brought tears to my eyes. I can only echoe what has been said... Wow, what an amazing testimony of the Power of Christ in a persons life. Praise God that he did that for you and for your husband! :)

ALL OF YOU ... your stories are truly inspiring!

I accepted Christ at a young age much like some of you. But I fell into the same teenage trap of relationships and boys and somehow I didnt have the "Love relationship" down with my savior. Oh, I did everything I was suppposed to do. I went to church, spoke of my faith and so on.... My nick name in highschool was even "JESUS FREAK". I remember one time a boyfirend of mine had said to me, "Did you know I was asked, 'why do you like her, she is a religious Jesus freak?'..He replied, "I know, that is what I like about her!" ;)

Well, basically, I came to a point in my life where it just wasnt enough. :eek: I still felt so empty inside and the relationships I was in were certainly not filling that void. So.....I felt the Lord compelle me to give up dating. I was 18 years old and God whipsered to me..."Let Me be your prince. Let Me be the man to love you and cherish you the way you want . SO I said, "ofcourse" sobbing at the time.." yes Jesus be my prince". Boy oh Boy Did God come into my life and invade it in radical ways. I stayed single for four years, completly devoting myself to Him. I wasn't going to date a man until God told me he was the one I was suppose to marry. I did just that. ;)

Any how, God took me on such a wonderful journey and still has me on it, of helping me to love him as my ALL IN ALL and my everything. I can not forget that he is my prince, he gently reminds me that no one, not even my husband will ever take His place. I am so grateful for the time I had with Him before it all, so that my faith is that much stronger today.

Praise God for each of your testimony's. I am so thankful for the Holy spirit and how he lead each of you, us on our own personal and special journeys. Our God is an Awesome God!!!

secondchance

Guest purplegirl

my testimony is long and strange so this is quite abbreviated! i was brought up in a non believing household. my family to this day are practising witches as was i. when i was a few days off my twentith birthday, a friend i used to cast spells with, who had since become born again challenged me to the source of my power. needless to say when confronted with a rather large spirit of witchcraft, i almost killed myself out of fear. that's when Jesus Himself called me and gave me a choice as to live or die. i chose Him!! that was ten years ago. i am spirit filled and powering on. i married my friend who challenged me and we have two children, the third is due in july. sorry if this is strange or frightning to others, please feel free to edit or remove as i dont want to offend anyone. :)

purplegirl-

You have offended no one, at least not me. ;) It is a powerful testimony to God. We all were at one point and in some ways still are, in darkness. We have been rescued and brought into the dominion of light; and the freedom of our forgiveness through Christ. Thanks for sharing. I am glad to hear it!!! :D

secondchance

I was an adult when I came to the Lord. I can't really say anyone had an influence on me, unless it was my Pre-K teachers at a Christian pre-school. I was only there a year, but maybe whatever they taught stuck with me somehow. I'll try to be brief - I was doing my own thing, and getting deeper and deeper into the occult. I started having panic attacks and was very bad for about a year. Then the love of my life dumped me, and I wanted to die. My best friend was seeming more and more distant. It seemed like every time I called her, she was at youth group, or choir, or some church function. I don't believe she ever witnessed to me, but she invited me to a few youth events. I went, but it didn't mean anything to me. I didn't understand it. I felt I was losing my friend, and I had nothing else. I told her one day that I wanted to go to church with her. I didn't decide to go for any other reason than I would have something in common to do with my friend. I was not seeking God or anything. I went to the church, and saw how the people REALLY SEEMED TO LOVE JESUS. The way they talked about him, the songs they sang, I just loved it. I kept returning and got saved after a few months. Nobody really approached me to explain salvation to me, it took me a while to figure it out. God really just did it. Amazing.

I was raised in a Christian home and accepted Christ at the age of 13.

I guess the greatest influence in my life was my sweet Grandma, she began taking me to "Southern Gospel Sings" at an early age and to this day I prefer "Southern Gospel" music and listen to it almost all the time.

Since my Mom passed away I haven't been as faithful to the Church as I know I should be but the Lord continues to lead and guide me and I am so very Thankful!

GOD IS GOOD .... ALL THE TIME! :)

Purplegirl - this is the thing, JESUS IS REAL. HIS LOVE IS REAL. These testimonies to His power in grace in our lives are what people need to see and hear. Most people know there is a Bible with these ten commandments and a man who died on a cross and apparently was ressurrected. But most people do not know what GOD HAS DONE FOR ME and FOR YOU!

It is so important that people we meet see The Lord in our lives...He makes New lives from Old. What HE does no other "religion" can do. People can try to clean up their lives and act like someone else. But it never changes that inward man... As a Christian you KNOW when someone has excepted the Lord - you can see it and feel it in their lives. It is not that they now attend church. It is not that they stopped drinking. It is that they are a NEW CREATION in CHRIST!

Thank you for sharing. There is someone out there in your old lifestyle who needs to read what you wrote...

Amen to that. Tssr you are so right and it is evidence.... of a changed heart that people see. Thanks for sharing . And for starting this thread.......Now many will see the power of God at work in lives all around the world. This is Co-o-l...... :cool:

Secondchance

I was thirteen when i came to the Lord. I was raised in a "Catholic" home were we only went to church on sundays because it was tradition but that was it. I had difficult childhood and was very depressed growing up. As i reached rock bottom i knew their had to be more to life than all the pain i was exposed to. So i started going to bible studies and seeking for answers. I started to read the bible and the book of romans is how i got saved. Reading about the Lord's love for me was awesome and seeing how i could be accepted by just believing in him and confessing him was unbelievable to me. I never was loved unconditionally and i never thought i would be until i came to know the Lord. It totally took my breath away and He captured my heart from then on. I did however, rebell my senior year of high school but it didn't take me long to come right back into His arms of love, mercy, and grace. Have been recommited ever since october 2002 and life has been wonderful ever since. Not easy, and have been through some tough trails but His grace and mercy is sufficient. Oh and by the way my family is now saved and are serving the Lord. The Lord is good!

Purple, I am so sorry about your family. I am not so close to mine either. I was saved when I was 12. I love God with all of my heart. I too had witchcraft in my family. It's influence can be subtle even just having been exposed to it. I am so glad God kept his hand on me and protected me.

Guest purplegirl

thanks everyone for not taking me the wrong way lol! God is very good and He is indeed the Lover of my soul and i just want to shout it from the roof tops He is Lord of all!!!!!

I was raised to seek and find answers for myself, but never looked too far into Christianity due to some not-so-positive experiences with Christians. But I've been completely and utterly spiritually-oriented since day 1. When I finally was out on my own, and encountered people who really lived and believed Christianity, all the disparate pieces of what I'd come to know clicked together and now my faith is as much a part of me as my skin. I gave my life to Him about 22 years ago, at age 18.

Purple, thanks for your testimony. I explored some fairly scary places before I found the Truth, too! Hugs to you

anyway u asked about when i beacame part of Gods family. well i was baptized at the age of 7, but my parents did not teach me anything after that so of course i fell away. then in my 20's i met a friend at work who asked me to go to her church and i did. and according to Gods promise that faith comes by hearing the word of God by the power of the Holy Spirit i believe. from there i met my husband and we were married in 96 and started going to where he grew up in church and have been there ever since. we started studying alot and still do to this day. i should say at the church my friend ask me too was really messed up but i did not know at the time, because i had lack of knowledge and i lost a good friend. i was told alot of things that were supposed to be personal messages from God for me and when i finally got my head straight, and learned that scripture interprets scripture, i was out of that church. anyway to this day by Gods continued grace and mercy i continue to be in Gods family and know that Jesus died for all my sins and i will be with Him forever as He promised because of what He did in His death and ressurection. i am now 36 and the Lord has taken me on some incredible journeys and i know He is with me always. so it is through faith alone, grace alone. i have been blessed to teach some bible studies, helped a young lady out of witchcraft, and as i continue to fight cancer i am able to share the hope i have. Gods grace, peace and mercy be and remain with us all.

nettie